Thursday 22 April 2021

NaPoWriMo - Day 22

 Day 22 - write a poem that invokes a specific object as a symbol of a particular time, era, or place.

The Ring

I once wore a tiny, gold ring
bestowed on me
when I was but a babe

When I grew older
the ring no longer fit
and it was stowed
in a jewelry box
along with tarnished chains
broken earrings
and bracelets long out of fashion

a gift for me in my 18th year
my parents made a pendant
from this little ring

I wore it on a chain
a small symbol of their love

it was destroyed in fire
along with so many other meaningful things I had
photographs,
home knit sweaters and afghans,
childhood teddy bears,
and a stack of poetry and journals kept over the years

I missed the ring the most
and never really understood why
or what it stood for in my heart

we're taught that possessions
are meaningless without connection 

and maybe it's the connection
to my youth
that still haunts me
as I continue to grow old

-Lisa

No comments: