Sunday 18 April 2021

NaPoWriMo - Day 18

Day 18 - to write a poem based on the title of one of the chapters from Susan G. Wooldridge’s Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words

Origin of self

sometimes I write
by candlelight
asking myself - where do you come from?

looking deep inside
to all those things I hide
and all those places I've been
that determine
                    origin

my whole
is like a recipe
a million tiny parts
    a teaspoon of tears
    a measure of memories
    a slice of soul
    and a dash of damaged hearts

the light burns low
and I'm no closer
I still don't know

but those who came before me
those who bore me
pass along the roots
of all my attributes

they give me meaning

deprived of it
I would be
like the sputtering flame
    nearly out, lifeless and listless and limp

-Lisa

No comments: