Monday 3 April 2023

NaPo/GloWriMo - Day 3

 April 3, 2023 - Find a shortish poem that you like, and rewrite each line, replacing each word (or as many words as you can) with words that mean the opposite. 

Unborn

Sit there by my grave – and smile
I am there – I sleep erstwhile

I am nothing – the calm in daybreak’s toil
I am coal on the darkest of soil
I am moonlight on freshly planted corn
I am a raging springtime storm

When you sleep in the cacophony of night
I am the slow dispirited flight
Of raucous birds at daybreak
The harsh light of day as the sun wakes

Sit there by my grave – and smile
I am there – I sleep meanwhile
Sit there through days timeworn
I was there but never born





** inspired by this by Anon
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

– Anon

No comments: