Thursday 20 April 2023

NaPo/GloWriMo - Day 20

 April 20, 2023 - What will future archaeologists, whether human or from alien civilization, make of us? Today, I’d like to challenge you to answer that question in poetic form, exploring a particular object or place from the point of view of some far-off, future scientist?


 - present day - 
I'm finally home and reach in my purse
After much digging I let out a curse
I knew they were here when I left for my job
I remember them jingling after turning the knob...

 - 500 years in the future - 
The metal is rusted, mishapen and grey
the grooves are worn off after so much decay
the ring that once held it eroded to dust
parts are still wedged in an icy snow crust

It's reason for use disappeared long ago
replaced by a blood scan and retinal glow
All that we need are parts that we own
to enter and leave our authorized zone

The object is brittle - we handle with care
and place it in gel to prevent further wear
After some time to determine its meaning
we send it upstairs for further screening
 
The lowly house-key has never been thought
as a relic from ages we've nearly forgot
Now it lives on, revered and desired
And on proud display by the next highest buyer



No comments: