Thursday 27 April 2023

NaPo/GloWriMo - Day 27

 April 27, 2023 - write your own poem titled “The ________ of ________,” where the first blank is a very particular kind of plant or animal, and the second blank is an abstract noun. The poem should contain at least one simile that plays on double meanings or otherwise doesn’t quite make “sense,” and describe things or beings from very different times or places as co-existing in the same space.

The Red Squirrels of Ruin

They lie in wait
anticipating,
watching,
as I carefully 
tend tomatoes,
care for cucumbers 
and plant sweet red peppers

I can almost imagine them
fiendishly rubbing their tiny little paws together
with unabashed glee
as if conspiring with
the dodos of destruction
or manatees of mutiliation

The garden is a lost cause
but each spring
I strive to create a space
where we all can subsist

The squirrels are cheeky
and ask for a corn row as well
They say "Nuts" and I tell them
I'm not planting those either...

I fear the end result
is a built in buffet
for those forest creatures
who have bested me
or beasted me
once again

No comments: