Saturday 16 April 2022

NaPoWriMo 2022 - Day 14

I'm trying to catch up with the challenge. I sit in front of my computer all day and some days when I don't have to, I won't. But the poems are being written - just not posted on time.
 
April 14, 2022 - write a poem that takes the form of the opening scene of the movie of your life.*

Enter stage left
or "playground" left

They follow a lone girl
around the schoolyard
    mocking

A late season snowfall has blanketed the area
she pauses
    (The trio behind her does the same)
then continues
trying to ignore the taunts
watching the younger kids
    build snowmen 
    and snow forts

With each step she takes
the group walks over her footprints
obliterating them
unfazed, she just makes more
"We are erasing you" they tell her cruelly
but she's still there

and many years later I am still here



*This was a difficult poem to write. It shows how cruel kids can be and how these things can stay with you for a very long time.

No comments: