Thursday 21 June 2007

Beauty Beheld

Sometimes when I write, the pen seems to take over and I just follow the flow of words…When I think too much about a topic, I hit a blank wall –It’s like the ideas are in my subconscious and I just need to let them tumble out, unhindered. I also write a lot of poetry to express myself, but I haven’t posted any to this blog. There is always a first time and that time is today. This poem seemed to write itself and I changed almost nothing from the first draft:


Beauty Beheld

You smile bravely
a boyish grin
instantly aged
by chemicals
and poison

You fearlessly
joke
about burnt skin
that hasn't even seen the sun
and cannot
be quenched
by soothing dips
in shady pools

Your strawberry hair
has not yet thinned
or disappeared
but you know it's only a matter of time
and you jest
about bald being beautiful

But it is you
who is beautiful
a genuine beauty
a kind beauty
a soulful beauty
and I want
to become part of you
and learn from your strength

I want to kiss you slowly
and make time stop
to show you
how strong you really are

I want
to turn you inside out
so the world
can see your beauty
like I do

1 comment:

Ian Timshel said...

A gift givers gift, beautiful and tear filled.