Monday 22 March 2010

Finding Time

I miss the simple times when everyone had time for a cup of coffee and a chat now and then. It seems like if I want to get together with people we have to check our day timers and find some mutual free time, usually a week or so down the road, and then schedule it in, hoping no emergency meetings are called that require cancelling our plans. There are no more last minute phone calls saying, let’s go for coffee this afternoon. Perhaps it’s a symptom of the busy lives we all seem to be leading these days. I will be the first to admit that I am as guilty as the next person and I don’t like it. When you add family into the mix you are suddenly weighed down with juggling everyone else’s schedules. Unfortunately, many things get lost in the shuffle.

I guess I am very lucky to have a supportive circle. I have tried and true friends, some who go back years, and others just months. There are people in my life who I can sit down with after extended periods of time apart and life continues on as if there was no break at all. With others (thankfully few and far between) though, it feels like you have to start all over again at rock bottom. But with most of my friends, it is worth it.

I enjoy catching up with people in person. Faces tell so much more than words on a piece of paper, or computer screen, or even voices on the phone. But even those are better than blank pages or silence. In the end, I’d rather sit down with you over a steaming cup of coffee (with cream :) or better yet, a cool frosty beer, and discuss the simple mundane things happening in our lives. Because I am a simple soul after all.

No comments: