Wednesday 28 September 2011

One of these days…

…my body is going to scream “ENOUGH!”…but until that time I will keep pushing.

I often marvel at the resilience of the human body. If trained well it can take a lot of abuse being thrown at it. And even if it is not trained it can still take that abuse; it won’t refuse, but perhaps protest a little loudly.

On the past weekend I participated in The Swamp Donkey Adventure Race. This was the fourth year I’ve done this race. With each successive year the race organizers devise more and more challenging tasks to test our resolve and will to continue. For the fourth year in a row my team has finished upright and smiling (well…sort of grimacing really). It is amazing really. When we began this journey into adventure racing we had done a couple of city adventure races (mostly pavement/limestone trails) and found them challenging and fun at the same time. When the opportunity came up to try a full-fledged Adventure Race we eagerly signed up. What’s the worst that could happen? Famous last words…

The first year we barely knew what we were in for…riding heavy commuter bikes, relying on compass alone and disregarding a nearby trail that would have gained us extra time to complete the advanced course. By year three we felt like seasoned veterans with war stories to tell about getting lost and a team-mate slashing open his thigh but continuing the race despite the copious amount of blood running down his leg. Stitches should have been in order, but stubbornness and loyalty to his team kept him going.

So by the time we hit the start line this year we felt we could handle just about anything the race organizers could throw at us. We all had full suspension mountain bikes, a fiberglass canoe and more than a few hours paddling training. We had the experience and the training. We were ready. All things considered we did quite well. The race consisted of 11 km of bush-whacking (2:46), 8.5 km of canoeing(1:10) and 48.5(4:50) km of biking - much of it on single track trails and old logging roads. (+ transition times)

I am very conscious of fueling and hydrating during races. I have run 5 marathons and have always been able to put enough food/water into my body to keep it happy and not bonk. The adventure races are no exception. But you fuel differently in a race like this. You eat cookies and Pringles chips and pepperoni sticks. I figured I only took in about 1400 calories during the 9+ hours of racing – way less than I would have burned off. (Interestingly under no circumstances would I EVER be able to eat pepperoni sticks during a marathon but in this race there was no issue whatsoever.) My body took what I gave it and used it to the best of its ability. It adapts.

Because I am constantly doing some kind of physical activity, and aside from the paddling sessions, I didn’t actively train for this race. I cycle, I run, and I swim. I often take for granted my fitness level. And in doing so, I tend to take for granted my fellow teammates’ fitness as well. While none of us found ourselves unable to complete the race, it was difficult at times for us. My team is very empathetic. No one gets upset when delays happen. But we are stronger than we were last year, and the year before that.

Friends of mine were also racing but an 11th hour injury to one of their members resulted in a quick search for a stand-in. Unfortunately this stand-in had no time to train as he had no prior intentions of racing it. I worried about him because this race was once again tougher than previous years. Their team finished the short course (about 20km less than our race ended up with none of the technical biking required) about 30 minutes after we completed the regular. As predicted his body was not happy and although it got him through the race, it was apparent that he was going to be reminded of it for some time to come. The abuse we dole…:)

Three days later I still hurt in some places. My legs are weary and my bike commute is harder than it should be. But this will pass. The human body is resilient. When we put our mind to it, we can accomplish more than we ever thought possible.

BUT...I am still smiling.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I so enjoy your writing, your stories, your reflections. You have an understanding of life that makes me smile at times, and then grimace... It's your attempt to answer that age old question... what's it all about... that makes me keep retuning. Thank you. M.

J.H. Moncrieff said...

That's awesome, Lisa! What a great challenge. I have to say, I envy your race day diet, considering what I've had to eat lately, even though it would no doubt make me sick.

Congrats!