Tuesday 20 July 2010

Living up to Expectations

I think everyone has felt at one point or another in their lifetimes that they had to live up to someone else’s expectations.

In the beginning it’s your parents. We feel the continual need to please and be praised when we are younger. It starts early when you are a child. The first time you smile or laugh or stand or begin to walk you get an exciting reaction from your parents. They smile, they laugh, they cheer and they encourage you and you decide that you like that. So you keep doing these things to elicit that response from them again. (This is what makes potty training easy for parents of eager-to-please children) Each time you get that desired reaction you know that you have done something worthy in their eyes and it makes you feel good. And each time you don’t, the look of disappointment you see hurts you and you are motivated to change, to redeem yourself – after all, they are your parents, the two most important people in your life.

Then you leave them and go to school, and your teachers begin to take the place of your parents and you start trying to please your teachers by doing well on tests, in sports, volunteering in the classroom. In Grade Six I was the ultimate teacher’s pet. I thought the world of my teacher (back then and still to this day), and when he showed approval for the things I did around the class it made me feel special. All for that smile, the validation that I was doing something right and something valuable in his eyes. (I admit I was a keener back then.)

As you get older, friends become your important circle. Peer pressure emerges and suddenly you are doing things that you may not feel comfortable doing, but you do them because you don’t want to lose the respect (or what you perceive to be respect) of your friends, again, trying to live up to expectations. On and on this goes throughout your life, and you start to wonder why you are living your life for other people instead of yourself. There was one time back in high school when I had two close girlfriends. All three of us were ‘dating’ boys and had all ended up at one of the friends houses when parents were out. The other two friends disappeared into bedrooms leaving me and my boyfriend alone in the living room. I could tell that he wanted me to go into the other empty bedroom with him. A part of me inside screamed “No!,” but I went along because I didn’t want my friends to think me a prude or a tease. We were the last to emerge from the bedroom later and although nothing happened - other than some innocent making out - my friends smiled knowingly at me. I suppose at the time I figured that being thought a tease was much worse than being thought easy.

There seems to be a double standard with friends that some people seem to expect more from some friends than others. In high school’s “the cool group” many things were completely forgiven depending on who it was. Not ever being in “the cool group” I remember being frowned upon for insignificant things, and I got to the point where I second-guessed everything I did. Even as adults those cool-groups persist, and I am still not one of them. (See ‘On the Periphery’).

As humans we crave acceptance. We want to be loved and appreciated. No one likes to disappoint. I’ve always been super-sensitive to what other people think of me. My aim had always been to please other people. To do things that I knew would be expected of me. It ended up being my curse, and I am trying to rid myself of it. I have realized that I cannot please everyone, and live up to everyone else’s expectations. Much of my married life was spent doing that, and I ended up harboring a lot of resentment. It is much more difficult when it comes from those who are closest to you. I think you try harder and harder to please them. I also think they begin to withhold certain things because they see they have the upper-hand. I have seen inklings of this in my children, and there were nights I spent talking to them for hours, reassuring them that they didn’t need to do something because they thought I wanted them to do it. But they should do it because they wanted to. I won’t have them fall into the same pattern.

In the process of shedding this curse, I have been able to open up my circle. I have discovered a new world out there. I am teaching my children not to fall into the same trap. And I have found someone who accepts me unconditionally, and puts no demands or expectations on me. It is refreshing and feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I will end off with a prayer, well actually a quote from a Gestalt prayer that sums up this post beautifully: " I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can't be helped."

No comments: