Friday 12 September 2008

Going Wireless

It seems that everywhere you go these days people are connected to some sort of communications system, either by cell-phone, blackberry, computer, etc. There seem to be more and more places where you can ‘plug’ into networks of some sort either via cable or through wifi. It is almost a given that hotels and coffee houses offer a wireless network to their customers, and those who don’t, are seeing business drift away in favour of ones that do.

Why have we become so reliant on technology and conveniences?

As a child of the 70’s the only phones we had were attached to the walls with wires – we were unable to take the phone farther than the cord would reach, which enabled our parents to eavesdrop, not because they wanted to but because they had no choice…phones were usually in the kitchen because that was where most families congregated. Televisions were plugged in and reception depended on which way the rabbit ears were turned. It seemed complex at the time, but upon reflection quite primitive now. There were no computers that the average family could anticipate the need for or even afford. Portable music meant taking your tape player outside. Walkmans were still a few years away.

Today it isn’t unusual to own more than one mechanism linking you to the world, and even less remarkable to have all those devices on your person at the same time.

But say you are looking to get away from it all – unhooking yourself from the harness of the world wide web and free falling into a non-wired world. There are very few places nowadays where you can’t pick up some sort of signal or connection to the outside world, and even then, satellite phones take up where others leave off.

To become truly disconnected you must take the first step and physically “disable” yourself.
I often go running with nothing in hand save a bottle of water. Sure, I could strap on a Garmin and log each and every detail of every meter I cover, and there are some days where that comes in very handy. I could also clip my phone to my waistband to make sure that I am reachable no matter where I go or what I do – and again, there are times when that is undeniable; some would say even mandatory.

So I savour the times when I can leave it all behind…literally. Unencumbered and free from electronic devices I suddenly become purposely lost and untraceable to everyone in the world. The prospect may seem terrifying to some who need that connection to civilization on a 24-7 basis, but for me, escape into the wire-free world of bygone days is oddly refreshing. I try to disconnect on a regular basis, for it gives me perspective on why I am here, and what my ultimate objective in life is. It also keeps me from becoming dependent on items that tend to make life more complicated and demanding. There are very few things that are so important that require one to drop everything immediately. Sometimes a little time to reflect on why you need something so badly can help you realize that waiting an hour or a day won’t mean the end of the world, and could possibly encourage you to find the answers yourself. Self-reflection and conscious deliberation can do much further inspiration in all of us. Unplug, separate and disengage yourself once in a while. You may be surprised at how much you like it.

No comments: