Wednesday 24 October 2007

In all seriousness…no really…

It has come to my attention that my posts of late are on the way-too-serious side…I’ve been reflecting so deeply to the point that I am starting to gasp for air and it takes too long for me to surface these days…I think I may need to lighten up and perhaps reflect on the lighter side of my life.

My sister-in-law and I trade positive affirmations on a daily basis…These “affirmations” are intended to put a cheerful swing on our activities of the last 24 hours as well as look optimistically ahead to what may be in store for us for that day. In the last year I must admit we have taken positive to a whole new level…

Do you remember when you were in school and you were about to write an exam and muttered under your breath, “I’m going to fail this test.” The teacher hears you and tells you to think positively, so then you mutter, “I am POSITIVE I’m going to fail this test.” That is the twist we have adopted with our routine updates. We are at the point where we now search for the most depressing part of our day to contort into a positively negative twist.

For example…she was having a rushed morning a couple of weeks ago so didn’t have a lot of time to style her hair the way she normally does. This is part of her affirmation list from that day:

  • I did my hair this morning…it isn’t drying naturally
  • People in the office aren’t asking…did you get a perm?
  • Yes, I got a perm

It makes me smile and starts the day off on a light note…
It has also come to the point where we will try to out-affirm each other with the most outlandish statements we can muster up, not an easy thing to do first thing in the morning with barely a cup of coffee in our bloodstream. I find it gets my creativity kick-started and often I end up jotting down a few lines which sometimes end up as part of a blog topic. Another example shows how I turned my immense discomfort from a 5 day scorching heat wave this summer into a positive experience which I blogged about back in July (see “Heat”)

  • I slept comfortably the entire night.
  • It was cool and lovely in my apartment when I got home last night.
  • It was cool and lovely in my apartment when I left for work this morning.
  • I am just reveling in this weather.
  • It is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I did not come to work strictly for the air-conditioning.

And then there are the running affirmations…this sport which we both do and love and hate at the same time has been the source of many laugh-out-loud mornings…this from my sister-in-law four weeks after blackening her toenail while running the Manitoba Marathon:

  • I didn’t pull off my toenail last night.
  • It hurt.
  • I have a new toenail under it.
  • It doesn’t hurt now.
  • I can wear open-toe shoes.

And mine after a particularly tough, but satisfying, hill workout:

  • Hills are my friend.
  • I didn’t nearly lose a lung after my 7th repeat.
  • My muscles weren’t screaming after I was done.
  • I wanted to run at least 5 more.

And thus begins each day…
I think we need to inject humour into our daily lives. What manner that humour comes to us is unique to each individual. I have had a year of seriousness that I have tried to punctuate with small clips of joy. This is one way for me to start my workday on a high note.

  • I hope none of you ever get this opportunity.
    :)

No comments: